Reading Response to Purple Hibiscus

I think Purple Hibiscus is an interesting novel to me so far. I liked how Papa's attitude toward Christianity is different than the attitude that Jaja makes toward Christianity. But I was confused when I read the scene where Papa gets annoyed of Jaja skipping the church because I was wondering why Papa forces Jaja to go to the church. But I can tell that Jaja is not a kind of person who are being lazy all the time when I read page 23. Jaja said, "We will take care of the baby; we will protect him"(23). It shows how Jaja is wanting to keep his responsibility to take care of the baby who will be born in October. This sentence changed the way I saw him compared to the way I saw him before reading this page.


Papa is also strict at other things too, not just about the religion. He stops his people from using certain words in public. But even though Papa is a strict person, he becomes abusive sometimes when he broke Mama's figurine. I, as a reader of Purple Hibiscus, feel scared of him a little. I think he is just too much about all the rules he make because it is making everyone uncomfortable in these situations. He shouldn't push people to follow all of them, but instead giving everyone a chance to have a space for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogue

Research Post

Vocabulary Free Post