Creative Post

I always get really annoyed when people ask me about my background. Most of the people who asked me about it tend to assume my ethnicity that is not always true. It was always, "You're Chinese, right?" or "I can tell you're Chinese or Korean". Sometimes they even went up to me and said, "Nee Hao". But because it's extremely complicated, I always answered them quickly which wasn't a hundred percent correct. I've only explained the entire story to someone who I felt comfortable sharing.

I learned from this experience that it makes people feel offended by assuming their cultures. But I know that people aren't trying to make me feel upset. It gave me a chance to reflect back to what I'm saying to other people to make sure if they're okay to say. But people don't always take something the way I take when I say it to them. I might have said something offensive to someone without noticing how they felt about me saying them. Even though I felt sad and stressed about them every time, now I feel like I need to appreciate them for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogue

Research Post

Vocabulary Free Post